Top 5 Foods That Contain Antioxidants
Everyone is talking about the health benefits that are associated with eating foods that are rich in antioxidants. Research has shown that foods that contain antioxidants will improve a person’s health.
Antioxidants have been found to improve a person’s memory as well as fight off cancer causing radicals in the body. Many people might not even realize that they have these beneficial foods in their home.
Here are 5 of the top foods that contain the antioxidants:
- Chocolate, although thought of as junk food, is filled with antioxidants. However, chocolates that contain less fat and sugar are the best kind to have in your diet. Dark Chocolate and unsweetened cocoa powder are considered to have the highest amounts of antioxidants.
- Berries such as Acai and Himalayan Goji have been studied and found to contain the highest amount of antioxidants. These berries are typically more expensive than locally grown berries such as blueberries and raspberries which also are great sources antioxidants. When berries are out of season, you can still obtain dried berries, even if the berry is dried, it still contains antioxidants. It is recommended that a person should consume at least 1 cup of berries daily.
- Spices are another good way to add antioxidants to your diet. Spices such as vanilla, cinnamon and oregano are commonly found in everyone’s spice cabinet. Additional spices such as turmeric and cloves have been shown to contain the largest amount of antioxidants in this category. However, cloves should be kept to no more than 100 grams when eaten. Although cloves are rich in antioxidants too much can cause various side effects that can do more harm than good.
- Nuts also contain antioxidants but they also are a good way to add protein and fiber and healthy fats to a diet. Pecans rank highest in antioxidants; however walnuts, almonds and pistachios are also great choices. Nuts contain vitamin E and Omega-3s as well being a good source of antioxidant fibers. They are known to reduce bad cholesterol, known as LDL and increase the good cholesterol HDL which helps to prevent heart disease.
- Green Tea contains the antioxidant Catechin Polyphenol. This antioxidant has been found to be a preventative against heart disease and cancer. It also is effective for people that have high cholesterol. Green tea has also been shown to be beneficial in assisting in weight loss.
Antioxidants are a substance that protects the body’s cells and helps fight diseases. They contain vitamins that include beta carotene, C, E, selenium and fiber which aid in the prevention of heart disease and other radicals that cause cancer and other diseases.
It is important to remember that our bodies produce chemicals which are called free radicals that damage the membranes of cells. These free radicals are linked to many diseases and by incorporating foods that are high in antioxidants; your body will be better prepared to fight them.